Chicken Stir-Fry with Japchae Sauce

April 17, 2013



It doesn't get dark til 8pm here and dinner has gone from 6pm to now past 8! I've been craving for Japchae for awhile now and the Korean market is a good 20+ minute drive away so instead, I used whatever ingredients I had on hand. Japchae means a mixture of vegetables and traditionally you use sweet potato noodles (dangmyeon), but I used Vermicelli (bean threads) instead. The flavor of the sauce is the right balance of saltiness and sweetness.

So, I started to follow this recipe, but I messed up and ended up kind stir-frying everything together and tossing in the sauce. It's almost like Japchae, but not? I recommend rinsing the vermecelli after you drain so keep from sticking. It was a huge mess. Overall, it was delicious and I wish I made more!



Chicken Stir-Fry with Japchae Sauce
Recipe adapted from Korean Bapsang

3 bundles of vermecelli
1 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1 scallion, diced
1/4 cucumber, sliced
1 chicken thigh, cut in bite-size chunks
vegetable oil for stir frying
salt and pepper

Sauce:
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons sesame seeds

Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well until the sugar is dissolved.

Soak vermecelli noodles for 15 minutes in hot water. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cut the noodles with kitchen shears and set aside.

Cook the chicken thigh with 1 TBsp of the sauce and 1 TBsp oil til fully cooked. Set aside.

Stir-fry the vegetables with 2 TBsp of the sauce.

Mix in your noodles, chicken and the rest of the sauce. Cook til heated through.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Ana from Fooduel.com.
    It is a new site in which users vote recipes from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog.

    It's easy, fast and fun. You can add all your recipes in 1 click.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo for user of the world look your recipes.

    You are able to see your stats:

    -Number of visits to your blog from Fooduel.com.
    -Number of votes received every day.
    -Number of votes received by each category.
    -Number of votes for each grade (1-10).
    -Number of votes for each recipe.

    About Fooduel.com
    http://fooduel.com/about.php

    We would love that you participate with some recipes.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete

Hi friend and thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog!
I truly appreciate the comments, advice and encouragement you leave me here :)

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme