Slow Cooker Beef Stew

October 4, 2012



I've been trying to make this beef stew since Sunday, but this recipe calls for it to cook on low for 8-10 hours! Yes, I know, I can put it on high and cut the time, but I figured I'd be a good girl and let it cook all day. Except, I got tired of looking at the ingredients cluttering up my counter top last night and thank God I already chopped all my veggies and all that was left was to open some cans. I even browned the meat and what a mess that was! I have to say though, cooking this recipe at the hour I did and having the smell wafting through your house ALL night is possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever done! I couldn't go to bed til almost 5AM and the smell was just tormenting me.

I have come to the conclusion that I may or may not be a stew-type person. I've made stew a couple times in the past and even then, it's just not my thing. Just like pot roast. I can eat a bowl, but I get over it quickly, but thank God for my husband who loooooves it and will eat the leftovers :) As delicious as it smelled, my first bowl was kinda lacking flavor even though I added a bunch of black pepper (I have an addiction), but I added an extra 1/4 tsp of kosher salt and it's fine now. The stew itself is good, but could be better imo. I think next time I'm either going to add more seasoning, maybe some thyme and I wonder if red wine would give it a little more depth? Overall it's still a good recipe. I ate it for brunch and for dinner and that usually never happens. I don't like to eat the same exact thing (unless it's Pho) in one day.



Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Original recipe from Movita Beaucoup

1-2 lbs of stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 medium sized onions, chopped into large pieces
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 cup of baby carrots, chopped
about 10 mini-potatoes, cut in half or quartered
1 28 oz. can whole plum tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
3 cups sodium reduced beef broth, divided
2 bay leaves
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then lightly brown the meat in batches. Transfer browned beef to a plate and set aside.

Dump the tomatoes into the slow cooker (juice and all). Crush them with a potato masher or the back of a spoon. Add the onions, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the vegetables and then add the beef and any accumulated drippings. Pour 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth over the beef and vegetables. Give the mixture a quick stir. Add the bay leaves.

Cover and cook on low for 8 – 10 hours.

About 20 minutes before serving, add the peas, salt and pepper. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth, creating a smooth paste. Stir into the stew. Replace the slow cooker cover and cook until thickened (about 15-20 minutes).

Remove the bay leaves before serving.

2 comments:

  1. I saw your comment on my blog and I think you are gorgeous!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That...looks SO good!!!! :) One day I will attempt to try that deliciousness, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friend and thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog!
I truly appreciate the comments, advice and encouragement you leave me here :)

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme